Friday 21 December 2012

I don't always tell people I listen to metal... but when I do...

I'll be in the middle of listening to Nightwish/Amaranthe/Kamelot/Linkin Park and they'll give me this shocked expression.

O__O WHAAAAT?


Yes. I do listen to it. However let me just put this out there... I'm very picky about my music. I mean these 4 are the only artists I listen to :| and they all fit my criteria. None of them have ever make me shrink away in horror. All of them I find are very tasteful.
If I listen to metal, it has to be... oh it's so hard to describe. I'll just write down my list of criteria.

-I like use of symphonies.
-I like the incorporation of choirs.
-I like clean female vocals.
-I like incorporation of synthesizers (but it has to not take away from the music, it has to add to it. so SUE ME).
-I like clean male vocals.
-I like some harsh vocals (but it has to be minimal otherwise I can't understand a single thing they're saying).
-I like artists that have concept albums because it shows that they have a creative mind that goes beyond music. They use their music to tell a story.

It's so hard to find artists that fit my criteria. So after much thought, and many artists later, I realized I only like symphonic/cinematic metal, progressive metal, power metal, neoclassical metal, and alternative/nu metal. These are really only the sub genres of metal that I like.

Why not the rest? Why don't I listen to other type of metal? WELL. Like I said. I'm just too picky.
I'm sure there are more bands that I would listen to that do fit my criteria (ones that I haven't listened to), but at the moment I am quite content with my selection of music (unless you've got more to suggest, I'd be happy to give them a listen).


But anyway, that's not what I wanted to talk about today. Today I want to talk about a short conversation I had with a guy...

This guy, like every other person, gives me this shocked expression 'YOU LISTEN TO METAL??'
I have no idea why they always give me this shocked look :\ but I was just about to find out. So like always, I nod my head nonchalantly.

This next remark really peeved me. He says "YOU DON'T LOOK LIKE THE TYPE!"
EXCUSE ME, but You don't have to dress any particular way to appreciate art! That would be like saying "No, you cannot come into this art museum because your lipstick isn't the right shade of red to enjoy anything we have." It's not a logical conclusion considering that art whether visual, textile, or auditory, transcends our own initial impressions of the piece. Art has layers like people do. Hence you can't judge someone's tastes based on appearance.

Now with that said, a fraction of the Nightwish fandom are always posting comments saying how Anette (previous singer) doesn't dress the part as a metal singer like Tarja (WAY OLD Nightwish singer) and how Floor (the new singer) does.. Suddenly FEMALE ARTISTS are obligated to DRESS a certain way to perform/sing for you people?

*** Btw, I like all three. I respect them as singers and artists. Is that so bad? Is that a sin? :( ***

What about Elize from Amaranthe and occasional performer for Kamelot? She just wears a sweater, some slacks, and the occasional mask onstage, and a nice dress or some jeans with a fashionable shirt for music videos.

**BTW I love you too Elize!! **

The irony here is that they don't like it when the more mainstream/popular singers dress a certain way to appeal to their audience. :\ 

WELL WHAT ARE YOU DOING NOW, FOOLS?

Alright, rant ending.

Lunch time!

No comments:

Post a Comment