Thursday 27 December 2012

Dolphin dreams and the taiji dophin hunts

I took a midday nap (still sick) and dreamt there was a dolphin that I saved from the Taiji fishermen. it was a dolphin bloodbath .. the water and the docks were drenched in the blood of many spinner dolphins, bottle-nosed dolphins, striped dolphins, and pilot whales... in the end i could only sneak in and carry one female out... her poor skin was so dried out and i remember pouring a bottle of water over her skin so that it was wet and rubbery again. I quickly carried her out of the cove as fast as i could and slipped her into the water, but she didn't want to leave because her baby was still in the cove. and i woke up crying :| that feeling is not a good feeling...

Anyway you can probably tell that I'm strongly opposed to the dolphin hunts, "tradition" or not.

I like dolphins. SORT OF DIGRESSING: When I reached grade three i came across the 'dolphin diaries' series from Scholastic. I learned so much about dolphins and they were cute, so because of that (very shallow) reason that they were cute, they were my favourite (aside from them being intelligent).
Then one day in the 6th grade my dad was telling me one of his stories about him fleeing Vietnam since he was a boat person. I knew that he fled Vietnam via boat, but he didn't tell me the other part because he didn't think it was too important; he was rescued by a pod of dolphins. I say the word "rescued," but really all he did was "steer the boat and followed them to Malaysia," but "rescued" sounds a lot better don't you think? So anyway he was saved, so technically if they didn't show up i wouldn't have been born and my dad probably would been killed by pirates.

moving on, that's the main reason why i am against the dolphin hunts.

second reason is because they're killing them for meat. ok that's fine and dandy and all HOWEVER they've got a large fish market for pete's sake. ALSO, the government is paying these fishermen to put this contaminated mercury-meat on the market. BASICALLY, you're poisoning and killing your own people. smart. :\

so those are my two main reasons why I'm opposed.

anyway, i get a lot of nightmares :| should probably do something about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment